Monday 16 October 2017

Books to Read

The ten books I'd like to read next (and potentially review!)

1. A Handful of Dust by Evelyn Waugh

An old and distant relative of mine was Evelyn Waugh's housemaid when he was a boy in Somerset. That's as good a reason as any to start reading his books!

2. Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls by Elena Favelli

This is technically a children's book, but it just sounds so fab.

3. The Color Purple by Alice Walker

This literary stalwart set in the USA's deep south in the 1930s has been on my radar for years. I've been building up to it and think I'm ready...

4. The Watchmaker of Filigree Street by Natasha Pulley

I am unashamedly judging this book by its cover. Just look at that shine!

5. Les Parisiennes by Anne Sebba

So many wonderful and inspirational women lived in Paris during Nazi occupation - fashion designers, spies, novelists, racing drivers - and this book tells their true stories.

6. Love in a Cold Climate by Nancy Mitford

This one has been on the Christmas list for years. Will 2017 be the year, Father C?

7. The Madonna of the Mountains by Elise Valmorbida

I rubbed shoulders with Elise in her wonderful creative writing class a couple of years ago. Am so excited to read her epic sweep of a novel when it comes out in 2018.

8. The Casual Vacancy by J.K. Rowling

As a big Potter fan I have utter faith in J.K.'s talents.

9. A God in Ruins by Kate Atkinson

This sequel to one of my favourite books, Life After Life, promises to reveal what happened to the world's loveliest character, Teddy. I'm borrowing this one from Mum so will have to read it quick.

10. Changing my Mind by Zadie Smith

I like changing my mind too, so I think I'll get on well with Zadie's essays on her influences and inspirations.

No comments:

Post a Comment